The PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh was originally established as Mugalpura Engineering College at Lahore (now in Pakistan) on November 9, 1921. The name of the college was later changed to Maclagan Engineering College and its started functioning under the name on March 19, 1924. In the year 1931, the college got affiliated to Punjab University, Lahore. After partition in 1947, the college was shifted to Roorkee (India) and was renamed as East Punjab College of Engineering.
|College Name:||PEC University of Technology Chandighar|
|Affiliated To:||Autonomous Institute|
|Address:||PEC University of Technology Chandighar, . Sector 12 ,Chandigarh, U.T Pin : 160012, India|
|Phone:||+91 172 2746074, 2753051|
Mode of Admission: AIEEE & State Entrance Exam for UG courses, GATE for MTech
Streams at Graduate Level
No. Of Seats
Electronics & Electrical Communication
Information Technology Engineering
Streams at Post-Graduate Level
No. of seats
Civil Engineering (Irrigation & Hydraulics)
Civil Engineering (Structures)
Environmental Engineering (Inter disciplinary)
Computer Integrated Manufacturing
Computer Science & Engineering (Information Security)
Computer Science & Engineering .
Electronics Product Design & Technology
Industrial Materials & Metallurgy
Fee structure for various courses:
Placements : TRAINING It arranges training for students in industries for 4 weeks at the end of 4th Semester and 6th Semester. Production Engineering Department students undergo Six months training. The students of the college undergo their training at various prestigious organizations. The students act as a channel of communication with the industries.
PLACEMENTS All the reputed organizations including MNCs are coming to the College for campus recruitment. To achieve its goal, the Training & Placement Cell works towards recognizing the core competencies of students. It works through a close knit organization and has a structure which conveys information to the students at the fastest possible rate. A common placement brochure for all branches is published.
The Training & Placement Cell firmly believes in ‘Industry-Institute Interaction’. In order to accomplish ‘Industry-Institute Interaction’, it organizes technical talks and national seminars to provide a platform for the budding engineers to interact with professionals from various industries. It encourages visits to the industries by the college students. It arranges for industrial problems to be worked on by students as part of their projects. It also takes suggestions from members of industry regarding designing/changing of curriculum. The college has signed MOUs with many industrial organizations and industrial chambers. Technical paper presentation contests are held in collaboration with industries to discuss new developments and trends.
Campus: The PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh was orginally established as Mugalpura Engineering College at Lahore (now in Pakistan) on November 9, 1921. The name of the college was later changed to Maclagan Engineering College and its started functioning under the name on March 19, 1924. In the year 1931, the college got affiliated to Punjab University, Lahore. After partition in 1947, the college was shifted to Roorkee (India) and was renamed as East Punjab College of Engineering. In the year 1950 the word East was dropped and it came to know by its present name – Punjab Engineering College. Towards the end of December 1953, the college shifted to its present campus in Chandigarh to function under Govt. of Punjab. In 1966, with the formation of Union Territory of Chandigarh, the college same under control of Govt. of India through Chandigarh Administration. In October 2003, the Govt. of India notified the Punjab Engineering College as a Deemed to be University and thereafter it became known as Punjab Engineering College ( Deemed University). In 2009, the Board of Governors renamed the institution as PEC University of Technology. In 1994 this institution was adjudged the best technical college in India by the National Foundation of Engineers. It occupies an area of 146 acres.
Up to 1962, the college comprised of engineering departments of Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. Thereafter the college expanded & five newdepartments in the fields of Aeronautical Engineering, Electronics & Electrical Communication Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Production Engineering and Computer Science Engineering were added gradually. Recently a new department of Information & Technology has been added. In the year 1957, Highway Engineering was added as the first post-graduate course in the college. Gradually other post-graduate courses were subsequently added. Presently there are eleven post-graduate courses leading to Masters of Engineering degree in Highways, Structures, Hydraulics and Irrigation, Rotodynamic Machines, Electrical Power Systems, Environmental Engineering (Interdisciplinary), Electronics Metallurgical Engineering and C.I.M. Facilities for post-graduate studies exist for regular as well as for part time students .The college has facilities for research work leading to the award of Ph.D. degree in engineering in certain selected fields of different disciplines. The college also offers consultancy services in different disciplines.
Central library: The central library, PEC (DU), is housed in an area of about 27000 sq. feet and organized into various sections, which are manned by professionally qualified staff. With a collection of about 1,08,028 volumes in science and technology, catering to the needs of about 2000 members (both staff and students), imparting / perusing studies in nine different branches of branches of engineering, it continuously acquires text and reference books. To keep its readers abreast with the latest developments in Engineering & Technology, the library is subscribing to 72 foreign and 18 indian technical journals in the print form. The library is a member of INDEST consortium under the Ministry of HRD since 2003. This consortium provides access to electronic resources i.e. IEL (IEEE), ASME & ASCE.
Having centrally air-conditioning facility with 250 seats in two spacious reading halls for reticent of its readers, the library functions from 9 AM to 8 PM / 11 PM with an open acess system to maximize the use of library resources. The Central Library is also having Multimedia Section to make use of most popular mode of education i.e. Electronic Media with the help of Computer, LCD projector, TV, VCR, OHP, Slide projector, CD, Floppy and collections of 450 CDs, 76 floppies and 581 Video Cassettes on variousb disciplines of technology. Online network connection has already been given to the library.
There are four hostels for boys namely Shivalik (1st Year students), Himalaya (2nd Year and 3rd Year students), Kurukshetra (Final Year) students, and Aravali (M.E. students) and two hostels for girls named Kalpana Chawla hostel (B.E. girls) and Vindhya (M.E. girls). Each hostel is self contained with amenities such as reading room, indoor games room, lounge and dining hall and a mess.
The provost Chief Warden of hostels) is the in charge of the hostels organizations. He is assisted by additional chief warden of hostels, hostel wardens and mess presidents. The discipline in the hostel is looked by the proctor of the college. Hostel accommodation will be provided for all students and residence in the hostels is obligatory. The students who opt to stay with their parents/guardians in the city, may be allowed to do so with the permission of the principal on the basis of a written undertaking form the parents/guardians to the fact that they will take part in all the extra-curricular activities of the college. The provost Chief Warden of hostels) is the in charge of the hostels organizations. He is assisted by additional chief warden of hostels, hostel wardens and mess presidents. The discipline in the hostel is looked by the proctor of the college.