Career Opportunities in Petroleum Engineering:
Since the beginning of the 20th century petroleum and its product or rather crude oil has been the major source of energy. Till now we can hardly think a device which does not use petroleum as the source of driving force. This petroleum and its product not only plays an important role in day to day life but, also in the international relationships between two nations.
The significance of oil as a world energy source is difficult to overdramatize. The growth in energy production during the 20th century is unprecedented, and increasing oil production has been by far the major contributor to that growth. Every day an immense and intricate system moves more than 80 million barrels of oil from producers to consumers. The production and consumption of oil is of vital importance to international relations and has frequently been a decisive factor in the determination of foreign policy. The position of a country in this system depends on its production capacity as related to its consumption. The possession of oil deposits is sometimes the determining factor between a rich and a poor country. For any country, however, the presence or absence of oil has a major economic consequence.
On a timescale within the span of prospective human history, the utilization of oil as a major source of energy will be a transitory affair of a century or two. Nonetheless, it will have been an affair of profound importance to world industrialization.
Pretroleum Engineering is guided by the demand of petroleum product all over the world and based on that the demand of petroleum engineers are of high demand. In India, career as the petroleum engineering is emerging, recently numerous IIT-JEE qualified students are opting petroleum engineering as their preferred course of study. Job profile offered in this course are as below:
- Reserviour Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Drillings Engineer
- Pipeline Engineer
- LNG Production and Handling Engineer
- CNG operation and Distribution Engineer
- Pipeline Transportation Engineer
- Natural Gas Modeling and Simulation Engineer
- Well Stimulation Engineer
- Software Developers, etc
Some top institute in India offering petroleum engineering are:
|Sl. no||Name of Institute||Admission Process||No. of seat|
|1||Indian School of Mines University(ISM), Dhanbad||IIT JEE Advanced||115|
|2||Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology (RGIPT), Rae Bareli||IIT JEE Advanced||40|
|3||Maharashtra Institute of Technology MHT(MIT), Pune||MHT-CET/JEE||60|
|4||Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU), Gandhinagar||JEE Main||120|
|5||University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun Board Merit||JEE Main/ UPESEAT/
|6||Dibrugarh University, Assam||CEE/JEE Main||60|
|7||Rajasthan Technical University, Jaipur||RPTEC/JEE Main||30|
|8||Zakir Hussain College of Engineering and Technology, Aligarh||CAT||20|
B.Tech.in Petroleum Engineering abroad:
- Heriot-Watt University, UK,
- University of Tulsa, USA
- University ofTexas at Austin, USA,
- University of New South Wales, Australia,
- Texas A&M University, USA, 6. Colorado School of Mines, USA,
- Stanford University, USA,
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Mexico,
- University of Southern California, USA,
- University of Oklahoma, USA
Exploration & Production Companies:
- Adani Welspun Exploration Ltd.
- Geo Global Resources Inc
- Arrow Energy (India) Pty Ltd.
- Great Eastern Energy Corporation Ltd.
- Assam Petroleum Ltd.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- BHP Billiton
- Hardy Exploration & Production (India) Inc
- BG India
- BP Exploration (Alpha) Ltd.
- Hindustan Oil Exploration
- Cairn Energy Company Ltd.
- Deep Industries Ltd.
- HPCL- Mittal Energy Ltd.
- Essar Oil Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Eni India Ltd.
- Interlink Petroleum Ltd.
- Enso Group
- Jubilant Energy
- Focus Energy Ltd.
- Mercator Ltd.
- Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Niko Resources Ltd.
- GAIL (INDIA) Ltd.
- NaftoGaz India Private Ltd.
- ONGC Videsh Ltd.
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.
- Oil India Ltd. Schlumberger
- Prize Petroleum Company Ltd.
- Selan Exploration Technology Ltd.
- Quippo Oil and Gas Infrastructure Ltd.
- Santos International
- Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Operations Pty Ltd.
- Shell India
- Tata Petrodyne Ltd.
- Adani Gas Ltd.
- GSPC Gas Company Ltd.
- Aavantika Gas Ltd.
- Haryana City Gas Distribution Ltd.
- Assam Gas Company Ltd.
- Indraprastha Gas Ltd.
- Bhagyanagar Gas Company Ltd.
- Mahanagar Gas Ltd.
- Charotar Gas Sahakari Mandali Ltd.
- Maharashtra Natural Gas Ltd.
- Central UP Gas Ltd.
- Reliance Gas Corporation Ltd.
- Green Gas Ltd.
- Sabarmati Gas Ltd.
- GAIL Gas Ltd.
- Siti Energy Limited
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd.
- Tripura Natural Gas Company Ltd.
IT Companies (For Energy Vertical):
- Accenture Services Pvt.
- Ltd. L&T IES
- Capgemini India Pvt. Ltd.
- Siemens Ltd.
- GE Energy
- Samsung Engineering
- Infosys Ltd.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.
- ITC Infotech India Ltd.
- Wipro Technologies
Apart from these company there are hundreds of service providers and consulting firms who recruit Petroleum Engineers through campuses and open selection processes.