resettelement and rehabilation of people
There are many issues and harms attached with the displacement or the resettlement of the people due to natural or man-made reasons. However, we must keep the objectives and purpose of rehabilitation in mind while displacing people. Current nuclear crisis in Japan have already displaced millions of people. There are various instances and examples if displacement and resettlement of people due to mining activities, resettlement due to dams and other multipurpose projects etc.
- Due to Developmental activities
- Due to Disaster
- Due to conservation initiatives
- Displacement of tribal’ increases poverty
- Breakup of families
- Communal ownership of property
- Vanishing social and cultural activities
- Loss of identity between the people.
Case Studies: Sardar Sarovar Dam, the Theri dam Project, Pong Dam.
Environmental ethics: Refers to the issues, principles and guidelines relating to human interactions with their environment.
- Population growth
- Pollution due to effluent and smoke
- Water scarcity
- Land degradation
- Reducing the energy sources
- Recycle and reuse of waste products
- Soil degradation
- Sustainable development
- Protection of Bio – diversity
- Reducing the population.
WATER SHED MANAGEMENT– The management of rainfall and resultant run-off.
- To minimize of risk of floods
- For improving the economy
- For developmental activities
- To generate huge employment opportunities
- To promote forestry
- To protect soil from erosion.
Factors affecting watershed:
- Unplanned land use
- Droughty climates.