Cellular Packet-Switched Architecture
This provides the capability to support highly dense user condition. In this architecture optical fiber is used as main transmission media. And information travel at the rate of several gigabytes per second. This architecture used metropolitan area network (MAN) network.
Key elements in the network that facilitate transfer of information are
- Base station interface unit (BIU),
- Cellular controller interface unit (CIU),
- Trunk interface unit (TIU),
- Each subscriber's wireless interface unit (WIU)
- The BIUs are connected to the TIUs which are connected to the PSTN.
- The CIU connects to the cellular control unit. Different MANs are interconnected via gateway interface units (GIU). Visitor interface units (VIU) access the visitor database (VDB) and the home databases (HDB) for registration and location updates.
- Packet switching techniques are used for transmission of packets in the cellular-switched architecture
- Figure below indicates the conceptual block diagram of such architecture for a metropolitan area network (MAN)