Performance of SS7
To understand the SS7 performance we have to study connection set-up time (response time) or the end-to-end signaling information transfer time.The delays in the signaling point (SP) and the STP depend on the specific hardware configuration and switching software implementation.
Congestion Control in SS7 networks:
- With an increasing number of subscribers, it becomes important to avoid congestion in the signaling network under heavy traffic conditions
- SS7 networking protocols provide several congestion control schemes, allowing traffic to avoid failed links and nodes
Advantages of Common Channel Signaling (CCS) over Conventional Signaling
Faster Call Set-up
- In CCS, high speed signaling networks are used for transferring the call set-up messages resulting in smaller delay times when compared to conventional signaling methods, such as Multi-frequency.
Greater trunking (or Queueing) Efficiency
- CCS has shorter call set-up and tear down times that result in less call-holding time .
- CCS reduces the traffic on the network.
- In heavy traffic conditions, high trunking efficiency is obtained.
- CCS allows the transfer of additional information along with the signaling traffic providing facilities such as caller identification and voice or data identification