Signaling Traffic in SS7
Call set-ups, inter-MSC handoffs, and location updates are the main activities that generate the maximum signaling traffic in a network, and which are all handled under SS7.
Traffic in SS7:
- Setting up of a call requires exchange of information about the location of the calling subscriber and information about the location of the called subscriber.
- Either or both, of the calling and the called subscribers can be mobile
- Whenever any of the mobile subscribers switches MSCs under a handoff condition, it adds to the amount of information exchanged
- Location update records are updated in the network whenever a subscriber moves to a new location
- Table 5 shows the amount of signaling traffic that is generated for call set-up in GSM
- The traffic required by the location update process as a subscriber moves within and between VLR areas is shown in Table 6.
Table 5 Signaling Load for Call Setup and Handoffs in GSM
Table 6Signaling Load for Location Updating in GSM