Advantages and Disadvantages of CSI
Current Source Inverter:
Fig: Single phase CSI
Fig: Three phase CSI
Advantages of Current source Inverter:
1. The circuit for CSI, using only converter grade thyristor, which should have reverse blocking capability, and also able to withstand high voltage spikes during commutation, is simple.
2. An output short circuit or simultaneous conduction in an inverter arm is controlled by the ‘controlled current source’ used here, i.e., a current limited voltage source in series with a large inductance.
3. The converter-inverter combined configuration has inherent four-quadrant operation capability without any extra power component.
Disadvantages of current source Inverter:
1. A minimum load at the output is required, and the commutation capability is dependent upon load current. This limits the operating frequency, and also puts a limitation on its use for UPS systems.
2. At light loads, and high frequency, these inverters have sluggish performance and stability problems.