Design Procedure of Chain Drive
The chains may also be used for long centre distance of upto 8 metres. The chains are used for velocities up to 25 m / s and for power upto 110 kW. In some cases, higher power transmission is also possible.
The chain drive is designed as discussed below:
1. First of all, determine the velocity ratio of the chain drive.
2. Select the minimum number of teeth on the smaller sprocket or pinion
3. Find the number of teeth on the larger sprocket.
4. Determine the design power by using the service factor, such that
Design power = Rated power × Service factor
5. Choose the type of chain, number of strands for the design power and r.p.m. of the smaller sprocket
6. Note down the parameters of the chain, such as pitch, roller diameter, minimum width of roller etc.
7. Find pitch circle diameters and pitch line velocity of the smaller sprocket.
8. Determine the load (W) on the chain by using the following relation, i.e.
9. Calculate the factor of safety by dividing the breaking load (WB) to the load on the chain ( W ).
10. Fix the centre distance between the sprockets.
11. Determine the length of the chain.
12. The other dimensions may be fixed