STRATEGIC PLANNING: MODELS OF EXCELLENCE
The function of strategic planning in the new management model is to align all the efforts of the organization to customer satisfaction, quality, and operational performance goals. Zytec calls its process (which is patterned after the Japanese hoshin kanri) management by planning.
MODELS OF EXCELLENCE:
- Zytec is a leading designer and manufacturer of custom electronic power conversion equipment for original equipment manufacturers in the Communications, networking, computer, and other electronic equipment markets.
- In addition, the company provides logistics and repair from its Califörnia operation, and repair of power supplies in its Redwood Falîs, Minnesota, site. Zytec employs 2,300 people at facilities located in Eden Prairie and Redwood Falis, Minnesota; Broomfield, Colorado; Lincoln, Califörnia; Richardson, Texas; Vienna and Kindber, Austria; and Tata-banya, Hungary.
- At the company's first strategic planning meeting, in the sumraer of 1984, its senior executives committed to follow the concepts of W. Edwards Deming as the basis for its drive for quality improvement.
- In 1991, Zytec won the Baldrige Award and the first Minnesota Quality Award.
- Cadillac Motor Car Company is a division of General Motors North American Automotive Operations.
- A Baldrige Award vvinner in 1990, Cadillac earned quality recognition as early as 1908, when it was the first American company to win the prestigious Dewar Trophy. Cadillac's qual-ity leadership declined in the early 1980s, but a reorganization in 1987 spurred a transformation built on three strategies:
(1) a cultural change, (2) a constant focus on the customer, and (3) a disciplined approach to planning.
- Dana Commercial Credit (DCC) is a leading provider of business îease financing services in the capital markets, dealer products market, diversified capital market, international operations, asset management, technology management, and energy management. Headquartered in Toîedo, Ohio, DCC is an indirect, vvholly owned subsidiary of Dana Corporation.
- DCC has approximatelv 550 employees. The company won the Baldrige Avvard in 1996.