THE SHIFT IN THINKING: DESIGN OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
In the new business management model, the design process has been commandeered from the hands of an elite corps of engineers and delegated to a host of internal experts. People from marketing, engineering, manufacturing, and other rapidly disintegrating silos come together during the design process to address every aspect of design, production, delivery, and service.
American Express Financial Advisors and Custom Research
- American Express Financial Advisors and Custom Research are achieving these goals by putting the responsibility for service design in the hands of the people who work with the clients.
- The advisor or project team uses information gathered directly from the client to shape the service.
- The design process is repeated for every client, and each plan is unique to that client.
- Compared to the traditional "one size fits all" men-tality, the new design process is able to translate individual customer requirements into products and services that meet those requirements exactly.
- This type of process is not limited to service companies. For example, in Japan, a cyclist in the market for a new bicycle can go to a local bike shop and get fitted for the exact bicycle the cyclist wants. More than 11 million variations on 18 different models are available.
- The National Bicycle Industrial Company can build any bike to a purchaser's require-ments in three hours.
- Meeting customer requirements. Improving quality. Reducing cycle time. in the new management model, the design process has the most critical role in achieving these goals.