INSTITUTIONALIZE THE NEW MANAGEMENT MODEL
The transition to the new model will remain a transition until the model is institutipnalized. Companies that flit from quality program to quality program with no process for revveaving the fabric of their organizations never stray far from their old management model.
Conversion of the new model:
- Companies convert to the new model in one or more of four ways: strategic planning, employee involvement, process management, and their measurement system.
- Examples of each have been described in this book.
- The avenues you choose depend on which are more appropriate for your company, because one does not seem to be better or more effective than another.
- Keep in mind that you can work toward all four of the following
Action plan for institutionalizing the new management model:
Goal Align all activities through the strategic planning process
Participants All levels of employees, customers, and suppliers.
Steps • Define a single strategic planning process by adapting the "best
practices" of world-class companies to your organization.
- Identify who should be involved in the process, including ali levels of employees, key customer representatives, and key suppliers.
- Establish channels of communication that will feed key data and information into the planning process.
- Determine the vital few long- and short-term goals necessary to improve customer satisfaction and operational performance.
- Assign executive ownership for each goal.
- Decide on measures for each goal.
- Deploy the plan to ali employees, verifying that the activities of divisions, departments, teams, and individuals are aligned with corporate objectives.
• Formalize processes for assessing progress and helping groups not performing to plan.
Goal Involve all employees in continuous improvement
Participants All employees.
Steps • Communicate vision, goals, requirements, and expectations to all employees
Formalize processes for ongoing communication of corporate valııes to ali levels of employees.
- Clarify management's role in the new system, and provide training and support to assist in the transition.
- Train employees in the skills they need to assume responsibility for their processes and results.
- Formalize processes for providing employees with the feedback they need to assess and improve performance.
- Train employees in the skills they need to participate in teams.
- initiate the use of teams to manage and improve processes and solve problems.