MODELS OF EXCELLENCE- CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY AND CITIZENSHIP
For many people, the connection between business management and corporate responsibility and citizenship is vague. Every organizational "system" functions within, affects, and is affected by many other systems. Customers and suppliers have their own business systems. Markets are systems. The communities in which we work are systems. Company responsibility refers to basic public expectations, such as conducting business ethically and protecting public health and safety and the environment.
MODELS OF EXCELLENCE:
- 3M manufactures more than 50,000 products for industrial, commercial, health care, and consumer markets around the world, including pressure-sensitive tapes, photographic films, recording tapes, coated abrasives, and insulating materials.
- 3M employs nearly 75,000 people in 60 nations.
- In 1922, twenty-five Army officers founded the United Services Automobile Association, better knovvn as USAA, to provide themselves with competitively priced auto insurance.
- Today, USAA is the fifth largest personal automobile insurer and fourth largest homeowners' insurer in the country.
- It has over 16,000 employees. in addition to auto and homeowners' insurance, USAA offers life insurance, health insurance, annuities, mutual funds and discount brokerage services, full banking and credit card services, auto leasing and buying services, cruise services, and a retirement community.
- IMC, which was established in 1933, is a third-generation, family-owned business specializing in providing quality risk management and insurance brokering services.
- IMC serves nearly 150 clients in 19 countries and 42 states. in 1996, 90 percent of its clients rated IMC outstanding or world-class.
- IMC is located in Erie, Pennsylvania, and has 28 associates. it won the Erie Quality Award in 1993 and the Keystone level of the Pennsylvania Quality Award in 1994.
- In 1996, second-generation owner Bili Bloomstine received the Edward C. Doll Community Service Award for personal philanthropy and volunteerism.