1. There is a merry-go-round race going on.One person says,"1/3 of those in front of me and 3/4 of those behind me, give the total number of children in the race". Then the number of children took part in the race? (repeated from previous papers)
[ Assume there are x participants in the race.In a round race,no: of participants in front of a person wil be x-1 an that behind him wil b x-1. i.e, 1/3(x-1) + 3/4(x-1) = x ; solving x = 13 ]
2. In an Island the natives lie and visitors speak truth. A man wants to know whether a salesman beside him in a bar is a native or visitor. He asked him to ask a woman beside him whether she is a native or visitor. He replied "she says she is a visitor". Then he knew that the salesman is a native or visitor. salesman is in which category , native or visitor?
3. A man fixed an appointment to meet the manager, Manager asked him to come two days after the day before the day after tomorrow. Today is Friday. When will the manager expect him? (repeated from previous papers)
5. A man said he spent 1/6 of his as a child, 1/12 as salesman in a liquor shop, 1/7 and 5 years as a politician and a good husband respectively. At that time Jim was born. Jim was elected as Alderman four years back.when he was half of his age. What is his age? (repeated from previous papers)
Ans: 84 years
[Assume that he lived x years. X/6 + x/12 + x/7 + 5 + 4 + x/2 = x. Solving x= 84, Same as Question in Shakundala Devi book]
6. Jack,Doug and Ann, 3 children had a running race while returning from school.Mom asked who won the race. Then Jack replied" I wont tell u.I wil give u a clue,When Ann takes 28 steps Doug takes 24 steps, meantime I take 21 steps. Jack explained that his 6 steps equals Droug's 7 steps and Ann's 8 steps. Who won the race? (repeated from previous papers)
7. Every day a cyclist meets a car at the station.The road is straight and both are travelling in the same direction. The cyclist travels with a speed of 12 mph.One day the cyclist comes late by 20 min. and meets the car 5miles before the Station. What is the speed of the car?
Ans: 60 mph
[Very similar to Shakuntala Devi puzzles to puzzle you problem no: 38 ]
9. A lady goes for shopping. She bought some shoestrings. 4 times the number of shoestrings, she bought pins and 8 times, handkerchiefs. She paid each item with their count as each piece's cost. She totally spent Rs. 3.24.How many handkerchiefs did she buy? (repeated from previous papers)
10. Complete the series :
a) 3,6,13,26,33,66,____(repeated from previous papers)
b) 364,361,19,16,4,1,___( " " " )
Ans: a) 63
11. A family I know has several children. Each boy in this family has as many sisters as brothers but each girl has twice as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there?
Ans: 4 boys and 3 girls.
12. In a soap company a soap is manufactured with 11 parts. For making one soap you will get 1 part as scrap. At the end of the day u have 251 such scraps. From that how many soaps can be manufactured?
13. There is a 5digit no. 3 pairs of sum is eleven each. Last digit is 3 times the first one. 3 rd digit is 3 less than the second.4 th digit is 4 more than the second one. Find the digit.
Ans : 25296.
14. Every day a cyclist meets a train at a particular crossing. The road is straight before the crossing and both are traveling in the same direction. The cyclist travels with a speed of 10 Kmph. One day the cyclist comes late by 25 min. and meets the train 5km before the crossing. What is the speed of the train?
Ans: 60 kmph
15. Two twins have certain peculiar characteristics. One of them always lies on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The other always lies on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. On the other days they tell the truth. You are given a conversation.
Person A-- today is Sunday my name is Anil
Person B -- today is Tuesday, my name is Bill
What day is today?
Ans: Today is Tuesday
16. Alpha, Beta , gamma, delta and epsilon are friends and have birthdays on consecutive days though may not be in order. Gamma is as many days old to Alpha as Beta is younger to Epsilon. Delta is two days older then Epsilon. Gamma’s Birthday is on Wednesday. Tell whose birthday is when.
17.The quarter of the time from midnight to present time added to the half of the time from the present to midnight gives the present time. What is the present time?
Ans: 9hrs past 36 minutes AM
18. A man is going to a wedding party. He travels for 2hrs when he gets a puncture. Changing tyres takes 10mins.
The rest of the journey he travels at 30 miles/hr. He reaches 30mins behind schedule. He thinks to himself that if the puncture had occurred 30miles later, he would have been only 15mins late.
Find the total distance traveled by the man
19. After world war II three departments did as follows First department gave some tanks to 2nd &3rd departments equal to the number they are having. Then 2nd department gave some tanks to 1st & 3rd departments equal to the number they are having. Then 3rd department gave some tanks to 2nd &1st departments equal to the number they are having. Then each department has 24 tanks. Find the initial number of tanks of each department?
Ans ; A-39 B-21 C-12
20. A girl 'A' told to her friend about the size and color of a snake she has seen in the beach. It is one of the colors brown/black/green and one of the sizes 35/45/55.
If it were not green or if it were not of length 35 it is 55.
If it were not black or if it were not of length 45 it is 55.
If it were not black or if it were not of length 35 it is 55.
a) What is the color of the snake?
b) What is the length of the snake?
Ans: a) brown b) 55
21.A man was on his way to a marriage in a car with a constant speed. After 2 hours one of the tier is punctured and it took 10 minutes to replace it. After that they traveled with a speed of 30 miles/hr and reached the marriage 30 minutes late to the scheduled time. The driver told that they would be late by 15 minutes only if the 10 minutes was not waste. Find the distance between the two towns?
22. Three clocks where set to true time. First run with the exact time. Second slows one minute/day. Third gains one minute/day. After how many days they will show true time.
23. There were some containers of quantity 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 15, 22, 24, 38 liters. Each was filled with some liquid except one. The liquids are milk, water and oil. Quantity of each was like this. Water = 2* milk oil = 2* water. Find out which container was empty and containers filled with milk and oil.
24. Two travelers, one with 64 barrels of wine, other with 20 barrels of wine. They don't have enough money to pay duty for the same. First traveler pays 40 francs and gives his 5 barrels, Second traveler gives his 2 barrels but gets 40 francs in exchange. What's value of each barrel, and duty for each barrel?
Ans: Value of each barrel-120 francs, Duty on each-10 francs
25. What is Ann's relation with her husband's mother's only daughter-in-law's sister's husband?