For each question in this section, select the best of the answer choices given
1. A logic gate is an electronic circuit which
a. Makes logic decisions
b. Allows electron flow in only direction
c. Works on binary algebra
d. Alternates between 0 and 1
2. The process of converting analog signal into digital signals so they can be processed by a receiving computer is referred to as
3. A distributed data processing configuration in which all activities must pass through a centrally located computer is called
a. Ring Network
b. Spider network
c. Hierarchical Network
d. Data control Network
4. Multiprogramming was made possible by
a. Input/Output units that operate independently of the CPU
b. Operating Systems
c. Both c and d
d. Neither a and b
5. What is the alternative name for application software?
a. Utility software
b. Specific software
c. End-user software
d. Practical software
6. Compared with the secondary storage, the primary storage is:
a. slow and inexpensive
b. fast and inexpensive
c. fast and expensive
d. slow and expensive
7. EBCDIC ca code up to how many different characters?
8. A program written in machine language is called as ___________ program
9. A factor in the section of source language is
a. Programmer skill
b. Language availability
c. Program compatibility with other software
d. All the above
10. An integrated circuit is
a. A complicated circuit
b. An integrating device
c. Much costlier than single transistor
d. Fabricated in a single silicon chip
11. Data integrity refers to
a. Privacy of data
b. The simplicity of data
c. The validity of data
d. The security of data
12. Which data communication method is used for sending data in both directions at the same time?
a. Super duplex
c. Half duplex
d. Full duplex
13. What is the usual number of bits transmitted simultaneously in parallel data transmission used by microcomputers?
14. In the IBM PC - AT, What do the words AT stand for
a. Additional Terminal
b. Advance Technologies
c. Applied Technologies
d. Advanced terminology
15. Different components on the motherboard of a PC processor unit are linked together by sets of parallel electrical conducting lines. What are these lines called?
A particular seafood restaurant serves dinner Tuesday through Sunday. The restaurant is closed on Monday. 5 entrees – Egg, Chicken, Mutton, Fish and Lamb – are served each week according to the following restrictions.
• Chicken is served on 3 days each week, but never on a Friday
• Mutton is served on 1 day each week
• Fish is served on 3 days each week but never on consecutive days
• Chicken and Egg are both served on Saturday and Sunday
• Lamb is served 5 days each week
• No more than 3 different entrees are served on any given day
16. On which of the following pairs of days could the restaurant’s menu of entrees be identical?
a. Friday and Sunday
b. Tuesday and Wednesday
c. Saturday and Sunday
d. Wednesday and Friday
e. Thursday and Friday
17. Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of the days on which Chicken and Mutton may be served?
a. Tuesday, Thursday
b. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
c. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
d. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
e. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday
18. If Fish is served on Saturday, it could be true that
a. Egg and Fish are both served on Sunday
b. Egg and Chicken are both served on Tuesday
c. Mutton and Chicken are both served on Thursday
d. Lamb and Egg are both served on Saturday
e. Mutton and Egg are both served on Friday
19. Which of the following statements provide sufficient information to determine on which 3 days Chicken is served?
a. Fish and Mutton are served on same day
b. Mutton and Egg are both served on Tuesday
c. Lamb is served on Saturday and Mutton is served on Tuesday
d. Fish is served on Saturday and Egg is served on all but one of the six days
e. Lamb is served on Sunday and Egg is served on Tuesday and Thursday
All numbers are real numbers
20. Which word inside the brackets is always part of the word outside the brackets? Trigonometry
a. Solids, b. Calculus, c. Progressions, d. algebra, e. angles
21. One man can dig a trench in 2 hours
A second man can dig a trench in 3 hours
A third man can dig a trench in 5 hours
A fourth man can dig a trench in 6 hours
How many hours will it take to dig a trench if they all work together at their own speeds?
a. 0.43, b. 0.63 c. 0.83 d. 1.03 e. 1.23
22. A B C D E F G H
Which letter is two to the right of the letter immediately to the
left of the letter three to the right of the letter immediately to the
left of the letter E?
a. C, b. D c. A d. H e. G
23. How many minutes past 11a.m. is it, if two hours ago it was three times as many minutes past 8 a.m.?
a. 55 minutes b. 35 minutes c. 25 minutes d. 1 hour e. 30 minutes
24. How many minutes before 12 noon is it, if one hour ago it was three times as many minutes after 8 am?
a. 30 minutes b. 25 minutes c. 35 minutes d. 45 minutes e. 40 minutes
25. Insert the missing number below.
a. 156 b. 34 c. 124 d. 40 e. 104
26. The recipe for a cake called for 2/3 cup of sugars. How many cakes did Jane bake for a baked goods sale if she used 4 cups of sugar?
27. A new copy machine can run off 1,500 workbooks in 8 hours, while it takes an older copy machine 12 hours to do the same job. What is the total number of hours that it would take both copy machines working at the same time, but independently, to run off the 1,500 workbooks?
28. If the width of a rectangle is increased by 10% and the length is decreased by 20% by what percent does the area decrease?
29. Suppose half of the people on a bus exit at each stop and no additional passengers board the bus. If on the third stop the next to last person exits the bus, then how many people were on the bus?
30. A car traveled 75% of the way from town A to town B by traveling at T hours at an average speed of V mph. The car travels at an average speed of S mph for the remaining part of the trip. Which of the following expressions represents the average speed for the entire trip?
a. .75V + .25S
b. .75T + .25S
c. VT / (3S)
d. 4VT / (T+S)/3
e. 4VS / (3S+V)
31. If you had a piece of paper that was 0.001 inches thick, how tall a pile would it make if it were folded in half 10 times?
32. When he was a child, Gopal wanted to buy his mother 3 red roses for her birthday. He decided to start saving on the first day of the month. On the first day, he put ONE paise in his piggybank; on the second day he put TWO paise, on the third day he put THREE paise and so on.
a. 13th day of the Month
b. 19th day of the Month
c. 24th day of the Month
d. 30th day of the Month
e. 21st day of the Month
33. Mary was both 13th highest and the 13th lowest in a spelling contest. How many people were in the contest?
34. At an international party all the Indian guest ate 2 sandwiches, each American guest ate 4, each Australian ate 8, and all Russians guests ate 12. There had been a total of 234 sandwiches served. The number of guests from each country was equal. How many guests in total were in the party?
35. A B C D E F G H
Which letter is immediately to the right of the letter three to the left of the letter immediately to the right of the letter which is four to the right of the letter which comes midway between the letters A and C?