Close
Login to Your Account
Faadooengineers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IIT Kanpur 2011 Admission | Cut Offs,Rank, Placements, Fees, Procedures Discussion

Favorite 32 IIT Kanpur 2011 Admission | Cut Offs,Rank, Placements, Fees, Procedures Discussion

This is a thread for IIT Kanpur 2011 Admissions, Cutoff Discussion, Click here for IIT Kanpur 2012 admission, Cutoff Discussion

Hi Faadoos,

I ll be your guide for IIT Kanpur on faadooengineers.....go ahead.....clear ur doubts....
    :Laie_53::Laie_53::Laie_53::Laie_53:

Graduation Courses offered at IIT Kanpur:

B. Tech
    • students admitted through Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)
    • comprises of 8 semester academic curriculum
    • offered in all core engineering branches
    • consists of a core programme common to all students providing a strong base of general education Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering Sciences, Technical Arts, and Humanities and Social Sciences. With advancement, more and more professional courses come into picture. In the final year, there is a project in the chosen branch of specialization.
    B.Tech. - M. Tech Dual degree
    • students admitted through JEE
    • Two degrees ( B.Tech and M Tech) are awarded at the end of 5 year course for qualifying students. B. Tech. degree is awarded in the branch of the department while M Tech degree will be awarded in the specialization that is decided at the time of admission.
    • Academic core program up to third year is common with the four year B Tech program. Fourth year onwards electives for Dual Degree students will be in the area of their specialization.
    Integrated M. Sc.
    • students admitted through JEE
    • comprises of 10 semester academic curriculum
      offered in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Scientific Computing and Economics.
    • The program is at par with BTech and Dual degree programs. The first two semesters is common to all students doing their B.Tech / M.Sc (Int.). Then the courses started diverging into more department specific paths . It is designed to equip the undergraduate students with basic engineering knowledge, besides inculcating enthusiasm and expertise for research in basic sciences, enabling them to excel in diversified environments.
    PLACEMENTS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IIT K placements.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	2600

Ranking
    Has been rated between 1 to 5 across various rankings.

Fees
    The general fee structure of undergraduate course offered by IIT Kanpur is Rs 25542, payable at the time of admission

About the College - as per website
    Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur is one of the premier institutions established by the Government of India. The aim of the Institute is to provide meaningful education, to conduct original research of the highest standard and to provide leadership in technological innovation for the industrial growth of the country. The Institute began functioning in the borrowed building of Harcourt Butler Technological Institute in 1959 with 100 students and a small faculty. The Institute now has its own sprawling residential campus, about 2255 undergraduate and 1476 postgraduate students, 309 faculty and more than 900 supporting staff. The combined record of its past and present faculty and students along with the alumni spread across the world is awe-inspiring. With the path-breaking innovations in both its curriculum and research, the Institute is rapidly gaining a legendary reputation.
    IIT-Kanpur is located on the Grand Trunk Road, 15 km west of Kanpur City and measures close to 420 hectares. This land was gifted by the Government of Uttar Pradesh in 1960 and by March 1963 the Institute had moved to its current location. If someone had visited it then, he/she would have seen a standing crop, acacia woods, a long winding line of stately mango trees, flocks of peafowl and a conventional country side scene of India. The residential campus is planned and landscaped with a hope for environmental freedom. Halls of residence, faculty and staff houses and community buildings surround the central academic area to provide flexibility in movement and communication. The person who brought this mammoth transformation was Mr.Achyut Kanvinde, a Delhi-based architect. Since the beginning, the Institute has attracted scholars from across the country. The rich cultural diversity of India is reflected in the campus activities of IIT-K as well.
    From its very inception, IIT Kanpur has been striving to develop itself into an institution of excellence in education and research in consonance with the contemporary and future needs of India. In meeting this challenge, the Institute has always been making special efforts to recruit talented faculty on a world-wide basis and to admit brilliant students from all over the country by a careful selection process. Continuous efforts have been made to provide the faculty with well-equipped facilities to enable them to participate in national endeavors in Science and Technology in a major way. In addition to offering formal Undergraduate and Post-graduate Programs, the Institute has been involved in Continuing Education and Research & Development in areas of value to both the Industry and the Government. In a very short span, the Institute has attained recognition as a major centre of learning in Engineering, Science and several Inter-disciplinary Areas. The Institute has been served by illustrious Directors. Not only, has the Institute acted as the breeding ground for ideas and talent, it also has recognised and honoured scholars of distinction.

Hostels and student demography
    The institute has around 4,000 students with equal numbers of graduate and undergraduate students. Students live in the hostels, officially known as 'Halls of Residence'. There are eleven hostels, nine are for boys (Hall 1-5, Hall 7-10) and two are for girls (GH1 and GH2 - previously known as Hall 6).

Cut Offs
    Opening Rank: AIR 33
    Closing Rank: AIR 5233
    Branchwise & category wise data available

NOW TIME FOR YOUR QUERIES!!!!
    :Laie_69::Laie_69::Laie_69:

Re: IIT Kanpur 2011 Admission | Cut Offs,Rank, Placements, Fees, Procedures Discussion

what are the placement stats of mathematics and scientific computing branch at iit kanpur????

Re: IIT Kanpur 2011 Admission | Cut Offs,Rank, Placements, Fees, Procedures Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ankit7agarwal View Post
    what are the placement stats of mathematics and scientific computing branch at iit kanpur????
    Ankit, i guess you are talking about the 5 year integrated Msc course for Mathematics and scientific computing?

Most placements for students in this department are in profiles of Investment and banking, Equity Researcher, Software Engineer, Quantitative Financial Analyst, Data Analyst, Financial and Business Analyst.

Also, companies like JP Morgan, HP, Microsoft, Yahoo, TCS, ICICI, HSBC, McKinsey etc have been the past recruiters for this deptt.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

sir what is better mathematics and computing in kanpur ya ocean and naval eng. in iit madras

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek Singh shekhawat View Post
    sir what is better mathematics and computing in kanpur ya ocean and naval eng. in iit madras
    Hi Abhishek,

Mathematics and Computing & Ocean and Naval are poles apart...which one u wanna end up with is dependent on ur personality type......wud u prefer number crunching and research all ur life or a more adventurous life as a naval engg.!!!

What would be the better option:
    Mechanical Eng at IIT Kanpur or Chemical Eng at IIT Mumbai?
    Which one of them is a better branch in the field for research?

Quote Originally Posted by shah.aman View Post
    What would be the better option:
    Mechanical Eng at IIT Kanpur or Chemical Eng at IIT Mumbai?
    Which one of them is a better branch in the field for research?
    Both are equally good as per me....though i feel that the mechanical engineers hav much more fun....it has more scope and i an evergreen branch.....IIT kanpur has very good placements for Mech and I feel u shud take it....though it is also dependent on what u liked more...learning physics and machine concepts or learning chemistry in school........

What is the scope and placements for both-
    mechanical eng n chemical eng in india n abroad?

What is the scope and placements for both-
    mechanical eng n chemical eng in india n abroad?
    The placements are almost the same for both branches in IITs.....though this is not true for NITs/other colleges. The simple reason is their are fewer "very good" jobs in chemical and all are taken by IITians

As far as mechnical is concerned.....it has better scope in terms of further studies....

P.S. Do not judge a branch by its placements alone...And that too for core branches in IIT....Decide what u like and take it. IITs give u so much exposure that everyone has ample opportunities to showcase their talent!

my AIR in jee is 710.
    Shud i give prefenc to CS in Khragpur, Roorkee to Mechanical in Kanpur, Delhi?

my AIR in jee is 710.
    Shud i give prefenc to CS in Khragpur, Roorkee to Mechanical in Kanpur, Delhi?
    Again entirely ur choice....what u like doing...the preferences u mentioned have similar cut offs........CS is always the branch of choice for the level of overseas opportunities it provides....so its not always abt placement alone....what u wanna do in life is more important!

On second thoughts....if u get Delhi then u have the Metro advantage....take ur call...

i m getting metallurgy ..i wanted to know hws that branch and hw are its placements..

Quote Originally Posted by 1007varun View Post
    i m getting metallurgy ..i wanted to know hws that branch and hw are its placements..
    The branch is as good as the other branches........It has really good faculty & has enjoyed very good placements...avg is arnd 6 lakhs with highest being 9 lakhs & lowest being 3 lakhs.....the highest is not like 20-22 lakhs and therefore doesnt skew the averages like it does in CSE and other branches!!

but these are the placements of earlier batches..wat abt the placements of 2010-2011 batch of metallurgy...

Quote Originally Posted by 1007varun View Post
    but these are the placements of earlier batches..wat abt the placements of 2010-2011 batch of metallurgy...
    Its holidays and i still have no data for this yr.....

But whats the worry really......!!!

If they were good last yr, they will be good this yr.....Recession is a thing of past now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast