Close
Login to Your Account
Faadooengineers

Thread: Quarks-What da hell iz dis???

Favorite 32 Quarks-What da hell iz dis???

The name "quark" was taken by Murray Gell-Mann from the book "Finnegan's Wake" by James Joyce. The line "Three quarks for Muster Mark..." appears in the fanciful book. Gell-Mann received the 1969 Nobel Prize for his work in classifying elementary particles.

Quarks and Leptons are the building blocks which build up matter, i.e., they are seen as the "elementary particles". In the present standard model, there are six "flavors" of quarks. They can successfully account for all known mesons and baryons (over 200). The most familiar baryons are the proton and neutron, which are each constructed from up and down quarks. Quarks are observed to occur only in combinations of two quarks (mesons), three quarks (baryons), and the recently discovered particles with five quarks (pentaquark).

Similar Threads:

Passionate FaaDoO Engineer mangzee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Quarks-What da hell iz dis???

its good ....but can u give some more info on it......

Quark Symbol Spin Charge Baryon
    Number
    S C B T Mass*
    Up U 1/2 +2/3 1/3 0 0 0 0 360 MeV
    Down D 1/2 -1/3 1/3 0 0 0 0 360 MeV
    Charm C 1/2 +2/3 1/3 0 +1 0 0 1500 MeV
    Strange S 1/2 -1/3 1/3 -1 0 0 0 540 MeV
    Top T 1/2 +2/3 1/3 0 0 0 +1 174 GeV
    Bottom B 1/2 -1/3 1/3 0 0 +1 0 5 GeV

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

*The masses should not be taken too seriously, because the confinement of quarks implies that we cannot isolate them to measure their masses in a direct way. The masses must be implied indirectly from scattering experiments. The masses quoted for the U and D are about 1/3 the mass of a proton, since we know the proton has three quarks. But in other combinations they contribute different masses. In the pion, an up and an anti-down quark yield a particle of only 139.6 MeV of mass energy, while in the rho vector meson the same combination of quarks has a mass of 770 MeV! The masses of C and S are from Serway, and the T and B masses are from descriptions of the experiments in which they were discovered.

Passionate FaaDoO Engineer mangzee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[MENTION=7117]cool.taniya[/MENTION] ..... that was some good info....i think u could probably become a scientist...

Quote Originally Posted by mangzee View Post
    @cool.taniya ..... that was some good info....i think u could probably become a scientist...

HAHAHAAHAAH
    Hw can i be a scientist wid only dis much info!!