Close
Login to Your Account
Faadooengineers

Thread: Should i join IT Company or take a risk and join a start-up that i admire..??

Favorite 32 Should i join IT Company or take a risk and join a start-up that i admire..??

I am an engineering graduate with a high CGPA. A major IT company offered me a fat pay package. While my parents are absolutely ecstatic, my heart is set on a start-up company, which is doing some innovative work and whose ideology I admire. What should I do? My parents think this is a huge mistake. I donít want to disappoint them.

Do advise me FaaDoOOOs as to what should i do...should i go for the high paying and secure IT company..or take a risk and join the start-up company...???

Do help me out...

Re: Should i join IT Company or take a risk and join a start-up that i admire..??

Quote Originally Posted by rinkalrr View Post
    I am an engineering graduate with a high CGPA. A major IT company offered me a fat pay package. While my parents are absolutely ecstatic, my heart is set on a start-up company, which is doing some innovative work and whose ideology I admire. What should I do? My parents think this is a huge mistake. I don’t want to disappoint them.

Do advise me FaaDoOOOs as to what should i do...should i go for the high paying and secure IT company..or take a risk and join the start-up company...???

Do help me out...
    Hi [MENTION=9213]rinkalrr[/MENTION]

It is great that you are so concerned about your parents’ feelings. But my question to you is — what about you; your aspirations, and what you want from life? Your parents can’t live your life and if you can’t experiment at this stage, then when?

I suggest you do a SWOT analysis of both the companies and whatever your personal preference is I would say, go for it. Pressurised by their parents and peer group many freshers blindly opt for the company that has a bigger brand name and offers the best pay package, even if the work offered is not as challenging or in-sync with their aspirations. I think it’s commendable that you’re looking beyond the moolah and the glitter of the big brand name, where you may just end up as one of the cogs in the wheel.

I think you should sit down with your parents and have a little heart to heart chat. Gently explain your position and tell them that in the modern corporate world where there are literally a host of opportunities in IT, you’re not making a huge mistake but instead using this opportunity to catapult your career.
    A job that makes you miserable, but which pays fantastically well, will still make you miserable in the end. It’s not uncommon for the ‘thinking’ fresher to opt for a smaller company and factor in things like company culture, work profile, work-life balance and the scope for learning and growing with the organisation. Increasingly, students are plumbing for PPOs from companies that match their ideology and work ethic.

Although their is an element of risk, the rewards are greater. Working with start-ups and early-stage companies can be a lot of fun, more meaningful and offer more diversity and connectivity (no bureaucracy). In general, start-ups tend to work on somewhat more interesting things (albeit on a tighter budget). Most start-ups are creating some new technology, which can be quite exciting. As compared to established players where you tend to get pigeonholed, start-ups also offer more diversity and a better learning experience. Everyone has to do everything, even tasks that are outside your comfort zone. One day you play the role of a UI designer, the next day of a developer and the following day you may be closing a deal. This allows you to develop a
    host of new skills that will help you throughout your professional career.

In return, be prepared to work hard. And once the start-up is launched, you can take pride in its success and the role that you played. If not, you can still take pride in having tread the road less travelled. And given the buoyant IT climate, you can always move to a ‘brand’. But don’t dive in with your eyes closed. Make sure you ask the right questions before joining a startup. Like any job, it’s worth it if it fits for your temperament and skills, and the money is
    okay with you.

Re: Should i join IT Company or take a risk and join a start-up that i admire..??

Quote Originally Posted by rinkalrr View Post
    I am an engineering graduate with a high CGPA. A major IT company offered me a fat pay package. While my parents are absolutely ecstatic, my heart is set on a start-up company, which is doing some innovative work and whose ideology I admire. What should I do? My parents think this is a huge mistake. I don’t want to disappoint them.

Do help me out...

I think you should spent few years in that company where you get placed.............then working there you will face the real situations and will know how to govern and operate a company i.e. organizational culture...there you can learn a lot... after getting wrok experience and knowledge after 3 to 5 years....you can go for your own and new start-up...............................
    Vrishti Singh