Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator is an electrical generator.
- It uses a radioactive material as the fuel and uses the fact that radioactive materials generate heat as they decay into nonradioactive materials.
- This released heat is converted in to electricity by using Seebeck effect using an array of thermocouples.
- The output obtained in a RTG is a steady output voltage and its power capacity is a few 100 W.
- RTG provides an uninterrupted and reliable source of heat and electricity in remote and harsh environment such as deep space.
- Considered as a type of battery and so used as power sources in satellites, space probes and unmanned remote facilities.
- It provides power and heat for spacecrafts to many years.
- It is also known as space batteries or nuclear batteries.
Click below to download a detail report on Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator