This is Neharika from IIT Madras and I am here to answer your queries regarding IIT admissions for 2012-2016 batch.
You guys can ask me anything from hostel facilities to placements and much more!!! But before that a sneak peak at my college!
About IIT Madras: Indian Institute of Technology Madras, is one among the foremost institutes of national importance in higher technological education, basic and applied research. In 1956, the German Government offered technical assistance for establishing an institute of higher education in engineering in India.
The first Indo-German agreement in Bonn, West Germany for the establishment of the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras was signed in 1959. The Institute was formally inaugurated in 1959 by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs. The IIT system has seven Institutes of Technology located at Kharagpur (estb. 1951), Mumbai (estb. 1958), Chennai (estb. 1959), Kanpur (estb. 1959), Delhi (estb. 1961), Guwahati (estb. 1994) and Roorkee (estb. 1847, joined IITs in 2001).
Affiliated University: Autonomous University
Mode Of Admission in IIT Madras: The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is a common admission test for candidates seeking admission to the B.Tech programme.
Ranking of IIT Madras 2012: have been ranked between 1 to 5 for the last few decades.....now that is quality!!!!
Fee in IIT Madras: Candidates who wish to undertake undergraduate programs at IIT Madras have to pay a minimum fees of Rs 32342 per semester. Candidates who wish to stay at the institute hostel have to pay the hostel fees payable through DD which come to Rs 12,929 per semester.
IIT Madras Branches & intake:
Cutoff For IIT Madras :Opening Rank: AIR 7, Closing Rank: AIR 3944
- Aerospace engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering physics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
IIT Madras Placements 2011-12 :
- Number of Participating companies 30Number of Eligible Students 65
- Number of Offers made 70
- Number of PPO’s & PPI’s 8
- Average Salary* 9.42 LPA
- Median Salary* 9.21 LPA
- Highest Salary offered* 15.7 LPA
- Lowest salary offered* 7.5 LPA
- Campus map
- Transport Facility
- Guest House
- post office
- Shopping security
Address: Indian Institute of Technology Madras, I.I.T. Post Office Chennai - 600 036
- The Indian Institute of Technology is a residential institute and provides accommodation to students wishing to reside in the hostels. Each hostel in the institute is an independent unit in respect to its internal administration under the overall supervision of the Council of Wardens and the Hostel Management
- Each hostel also has a Hostel Council which is an advisory body comprising the Warden of the Hostel (as its Chairman), the Asst. Warden and the elected student secretaries as its members. The Hostel Council plans the students' activities for the year, prepares the budget for sports, recreational and other social activities of the students through the respective student secretaries and is responsible for the running of individual messes with the help of the mess committee.
- Every student who has been admitted to the institute is required to pay the prescribed hostel seat rent and establishment charges along with a refundable hostel mess caution deposit.
- These charges are subject to revision from time to time. Allotment of rooms to the residents takes place at the end of each academic year when the final year UG and PG students vacate their rooms after completion of their programmes of study. The rooms vacated by the outgoing students are made available by the Warden for other senior residents in the hostel to change their rooms, on request. The change in rooms is effected in accordance with the policy followed by individual hostels and with the Warden's approval.
Ask all your queries...i will be glad to answer...