The V-belt has been in existence since the early 1920ís. Through the years, vast improvements have been made
in the materials used in V-belt construction and in cross sectional shape as well. Originally, V-belts came into being to
replace the flat and round belts on automotive drives to ensure greater reliability. In 1930, Mr. Geist of Allis Chalmers,
obtained patents on the use of V-belts in multiple for industrial usage, which led to a very broad application of V-belts on
all types of industrial equipment.
The use of V-belts in multiple, allowed drives with a much larger range of horsepower
capacity than ever before obtainable using single belt drives. Originally, standardization of V-belts began under the technical
committee of licensees under the Geist patent. This committee was replaced in 1940, by an industry committee,
established by the Rubber Manufacturers Association on V-belt Standardization. The first RMA standard was established
in 1949, on the A,B,C,D and E section belts. Today, the Rubber Manufacturers Association have established standards on
all types of V-belts which are recognized internationally. These standards have been adopted by all standardizing bodies
such as the API, ASAE, SAE and the International Standards Organization.