Login to Your Account

Free Recharge

Thread: Maximum and minimum Speed

Pdf 32 Maximum and minimum Speed

In driving a motor boat, the petrol burnt per hour varies directly as the cube of its velocity. Find the most economical trip of the boat when going against a current of 2 m/hr

Re: Maximum and minimum Speed

The velocity v relative to the current must be > 2 meters/hr if one is to get anywhere.
    Write v = 2+x. Assumption: x is constant.
    The time T to reach the destination is inversely proportional to x, while the amount y
    of fuel burnt is proportional to v^3 T = (x+2)^3 / x.

Note that y --> 0 as x --> 0 or oo. y will have a minimum for some positive x.

dy/dx = 3(x+2)^2 /x - (x+2)^3 / x^2 = (x+2)^2 /x [ 3 - (x+2)/x]

dy/dx = 0 when x = 1 ; therefore most economical trip is at 3 meters/hr relative to
    the current.

Long trip, unless you only want to travel a meter or two.

On the other hand, if there is no current, petrol burnt is proportional to x^2.
    Therefore you should creep along as slowly as possible.

Conclusion: This model, with constant velocity and petrol burnt per hour proportional
    to cube of velocity, is absurd, at least for low velocities.

One must allow x to be a function of time t. Then petrol burnt during time interval
    from t to t + Dt is proportional to [(x(t) +2)^3 / x(t)] Dt
    and one has a calculus of variations problem: minimize an appropriate integral
    of the form Int [(x(t) + 2)^3 /x(t)] dt. But the endpoints are 0 and T, which is proportional
    to the integral of 1/x(t).
    At this point I have exceeded my level of competence

Just as I thought, I started with 1920x1080 as a safe resolution, and since almost all modern wide-screen TVs are using the aspect-ratio of 16:9, there wouldn't be any problem of lowering the resolution.
    Last edited by MarisAnder; 5th November 2014 at 08:58 AM.

To know the rocking news in every field visit to this site….
    Every news to every field is available in this site………….’
    It is the one of the best site that give you every news for india and other… so visit this site and get latest news……….. thank you

what was that......................................................................