“The way information is organized in the memory of a computer is called a data structure”. (OR)
A data structure is a way of organizing data that considers not only the items stored, but also their relationship to each other. Advance knowledge about the relationship between data items allows designing of efficient algorithms for the manipulation of data.
Definition of data structures
• Many algorithms require that we use a proper representation of data to achieve efficiency.
• This representation and the operations that are allowed for it are called data structures.
• Each data structure allows insertion, access, deletion etc.
Why do we need data structures?
• Data structures allow us to achieve an important goal: component reuse
• Once each data structure has been implemented once, it can be used over and over
again in various applications.
Common data structures are
• Stacks • Queues • Lists
• Trees • Graphs • Tables