Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination managed and executed jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordination Board - GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
The GATE committee, which is comprised of representatives from the administering institutes, is the single authority for regulating the examination and declaring the results.
The number of candidates registering for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) has increased from 7 lakh in 2012 to 11 lakh in 2013. But not most of these students are interested in seeking admission to an MTech or an ME course. Now they are mainly targeting a high GATE score to get a job in public sector units (PSUs)
Till the last year most of the students were appeared in GATE to land a job in public sector units (PSUs). The majority of students were not interested in MTech course. So the GATE committee is now likely to bring about some changes in the examination system, from 2014 all PSUs will give campus recruitment a miss and shortlist candidates from their GATE scores.
Apart from PSUs GATE is independently a very good opportunity for the graduates.
Benefits of taking GATE:
- A high GATE score is helpful for getting admission into IITs, IISC, IIITs, nets and many other renowned institutions.
- GATE qualification is also a minimum requirement to apply for various fellowships awarded by many Government organizations.
- GATE qualified candidates are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects.
- Dedicated GATE Preparation also helps in other respected PSU recruitment examinations like CIL, AP Genco, AP Transco, NTPC, BSNL etc
Benefits of M. Tech:
- M. Tech opens up a lot of career paths in the fields of Teaching, Research and other Core sectors, apart from the existing alternatives
- Better Placements in top PSUs, MNCs and Indian companies both in India and Abroad.
- A Minimum stipend of 8000/- per month is given to regular students joining colleges under MHRD
- The opportunity to work in research positions like JRFs, in ISRO/DRDO/BARC/IITs etc.
- A M. Tech gives chance to pursue specializations of interest.
Good GATE Score is:
GATE Score Range Ability Level
- 850 to 1000 Outstanding
- 700 to 850 Excellent
- 600 to 700 Very Good
- 450 to 600 Good
- 350 to 450 Above average
- 300 to 350 Average
The formula for GATE Score calculation has been changed from GATE 2013.
Till the last GATE (GATE 2012), the formula used for GATE score calculation uses only marks scored in the paper, average marks of all students in that year, average marks of all students in across 4 years, standard deviation of all students in that year, and standard deviation of all students across 4 years. In the new formula to be used from 2013, the average and standard deviation terms do not refer to the entire population, but to a specific ability level (qualification marks and top 0.1% of students).
GATE score calculation has seen interesting change with the shift of focus towards student's ability level than the total aggregate. The old formula uses average and standard deviation of marks scored by all students. But in the new formula to be used from this year, the average and standard deviation terms do not refer to the entire population, but to specific ability levels (qualification marks and top 0.1% of students).
GATE 2014 important dates:
|GATE Online Application Processing System (website) Opens||Monday||2nd Sep 2013(00:01 Hrs)|
|Last date for Submission of Online Application (website closure)||Thursday||3rd October 2013(23:59 Hrs)|
|Last date for the receipt of printed version of ONLINE Application at the respective zonal GATE Office||Thursday||10th October 2013|
Examinations for all the 21 papers will be conducted by an ONLINE MODE only Computer Based Test (CBT).