Gender: : Male
Branch: : Computer Science Engineering
City : LucknowSend Friend Request
When something can be read without effort,
great effort has gone into its writing.
Enrique Jardiel Poncela
This edition of Digital Image Processing is a major revision of the book. As in
the 1977 and 1987 editions by Gonzalez and Wintz, and the 1992 and 2002 editions
by Gonzalez and Woods, this fifth-generation edition was prepared with
students and instructors in mind.The principal objectives of the book continue
to be to provide an introduction to basic concepts and methodologies for digital
image processing, and to develop a foundation that can be used as the basis
for further study and research in this field. To achieve these objectives, we
focused again on material that we believe is fundamental and whose scope of
application is not limited to the solution of specialized problems. The mathematical
complexity of the book remains at a level well within the grasp of
college seniors and first-year graduate students who have introductory preparation
in mathematical analysis, vectors, matrices, probability, statistics, linear
systems, and computer programming. The book Web site provides tutorials to
support readers needing a review of this background material.
One of the principal reasons this book has been the world leader in its field
for more than 30 years is the level of attention we pay to the changing educational
needs of our readers.The present edition is based on the most extensive
survey we have ever conducted. The survey involved faculty, students, and independent
readers of the book in 134 institutions from 32 countries.The major
findings of the survey indicated a need for:
● A more comprehensive introduction early in the book to the mathematical
tools used in image processing.
● An expanded explanation of histogram processing techniques.
● Stating complex algorithms in step-by-step summaries.
● An expanded explanation of spatial correlation and convolution.
● An introduction to fuzzy set theory and its application to image processing.
● A revision of the material dealing with the frequency domain, starting
with basic principles and showing how the discrete Fourier transform follows
from data sampling.
● Coverage of computed tomography (CT).
● Clarification of basic concepts in the wavelets chapter.
● A revision of the data compression chapter to include more video compression
techniques, updated standards, and watermarking.
● Expansion of the chapter on morphology to include morphological reconstruction
and a revision of gray-scale morphology.............