Gender: : Male
Branch: : Electronics Engineering
City : BangaloreSend Friend Request
The first and most crucial piece of advice is DON’T PANIC! Bright children can and do pass the 11 Plus every year with little or no preparation, even in unfamiliar topics such as Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning. Many children have a natural aptitude for one or both of these topics which is precisely why they are used so frequently by Admission Authorities to test for grammar school entrance. They are believed to be good indicators of innate ability (although there are those who argue that point).
- Secondly, do your research. On our 11+ Schools pages we aim to provide the most up-to-date information possible about the exact type of test that your child will face for your preferred schools. We also recommend appropriate practice materials wherever possible, even for the so-called “tutor proof” tests.
- Buy some initial practice materials or download sample resources so that you can see what topics and types of questions your child may face in the test. (See below for some general suggestions).
- Prioritise according to how much time you have. If you have only a few weeks left before the tests, you need to:
- focus on any known weaknesses in your child’s knowledge of English and Maths
- teach them the basic techniques for Verbal Reasoning and/or Non-Verbal Reasoning
- help them to get used to the length of time that they have for each test
You will also need to ensure that their times tables are secure. The biggest challenge will be if your child’s vocabulary is not up to scratch. With a very short time-frame there is not a great deal that you can do, but if your child will cooperate, you can create vocabulary flashcards and practice as many as possible each day. There is advice on how to do this on our 11 plus English section. The 11+ Vocabulary Builder App was created specifically target vocabulary required for the 11 plus exam and is a useful tool to use when time is short
Last edited by ajaytopgun; 20th October 2015 at 04:40 PM.